Ppgutc runs extensive checks on a text file that has been prepared for submission
to Project Gutenberg. The user uploads a text file, clicks Submit, and then downloads
or views the results text file.
Users can choose to exclude checks they don't need. After a run, each report shows
a test number along with reports for that test. If on subsequent runs, you don't
want that test to be included in the report, enter that test number (or test numbers, comma separated) in the "Skip Tests" field.
Users can also select "Show all reports" to request ppgutc show all suggested errors. Normal
behavior is to truncate any singe type of error to 5 reports. This option also
lists all tests that were run, even if no errors were reported.
- Select a text file to check by clicking the “Choose File” button. File must end in “.txt”. Encoding must be UTF-8, Latin-1 or ASCII.
- After the file is selected, click “Submit” to send it to the server for analysis.
- When analysis is complete, you will see a “results available: here” message
with a link to the results file. With that link, left click to view;
right click to download.
- The source code is open source under the MIT license. For the curious, the source code is
- The program does about 80 checks, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t others that it
should be checking. If you have any ideas on enhancing this program, please
- I have quite a few that I want to code already. I’ll keep the online version up-to-date with the
- This program already has options for “verbose” (which shows all lines of the report instead of,
for example, the first five) and "color" (to color-highlight what it is reporting, for example,
the word in question within a phrase). I’ll have to recode this (PHP) page to pass those options
to the back end. It will take some time.
- Upload file size limit is set to 4MB. Contact me if you need more.